Worksheets /People /Musicians /Selena Quintanilla Facts & Worksheets
Download the Selena Quintanilla Facts & Worksheets
Click the button below to get instant access to these worksheets for use in the classroom or at a home.
Download This Worksheet
This download is exclusively for KidsKonnect Premium members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Already a member? Log in to download.
Edit This Worksheet
Editing resources is available exclusively for KidsKonnect Premium members.
To edit this worksheet, click the button below to signup (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start editing!
Already a member? Log in to download.
This worksheet can be edited by Premium members using the free Google Slides online software. Click the Edit button above to get started.
Not ready to purchase a subscription? Click to download the free sample version Download sample
Download This Sample
This sample is exclusively for KidsKonnect members!
To download this worksheet, click the button below to signup for free (it only takes a minute) and you'll be brought right back to this page to start the download!
Sign Me Up
Already a member? Log in to download.
Table of Contents
Selena Quintanilla was one of the most celebrated Mexican-American entertainers of the late 20th century, and was hailed as the Queen of Tejano music. She was a notable proponent of Latin American music. She was a singer, songwriter, spokesperson, model, actress, and fashion designer.
See the fact file below for more information on the Selena Quintanilla or alternatively, you can download our 25-page Selena Quintanilla worksheet pack to utilise within the classroom or home environment.
Key Facts & Information
- Selena Quintanilla’s birthday was on April 16, 1971.
- Selena was born in Lake Jackson, Texas.
- Selena’s mother descended from Cherokee ancestors, one of the indigenous people of the Southeastern Woodlands of the United States.
- Her mother’s name was Marcella Ofelia-Quintanilla.
- Selena’s father was Mexican American, and a former musician as well.
- He was Abraham Quintanilla Jr.
- In terms of spirituality, Selena’s family raised her as a Jehovah’s Witness.
- As early as the age of six, Abraham noticed young Selena’s musical talent.
- In 1981, Abraham opened a Texas-Mexican restaurant where Selena and her siblings, Abraham III and Suzette, would perform.
- Unfortunately, the restaurant was forced to shut down due to the recession caused by the 1980’s oil glut.
- The Quintanilla family went bankrupt and was evicted from their home, so they moved to Corpus Christi, Texas.
EARLY CAREER AND EDUCATION
- Abraham formed and managed a family band Selena y Los Dinos (Selena and the guys), which was a Tejano band.
- Tejano music is also known as “Tex-Mex or Texan-Mexican” music, and also música tejana.
- Tejano music is the popular music that originated from Mexican-American populations of Central and Southern Texas, just like the Quintanilla family.
- The first gigs of the band included playing on street corners, weddings, quinceañeras, and fairs.
- Selena was already out of school by eighth grade. Abraham had to pull her from school as the demand for her music career interfered with her school schedule.
- Abraham’s decision raised concern from Selena’s teachers. One of them, Marilyn Greer, threatened to report Abraham to the Texas Board of Education.
- Selena earned a high school diploma at the age of seventeen, from the American School of Correspondence in Chicago.
- Selena took a course of Business Administration at Pacific Western University.
MID-CAREER AND PERSONAL LIFE
- The band’s first tour bus was an old bus restored by their father, named “Big Bertha.”
- Selena’s first LP record called “Selena y Los Dinos” was recorded in 1984 under the record label of Freddie Records.
- Selena wanted to record songs in English, but Abraham suggested that she should sing songs close to their identity. Hence, she recorded Tejano music compositions.
- Selena wasn’t used to singing in Spanish, so her father helped her to sing while recording her first LP.
- Her first appearance on mainstream media happened in 1985, as she guested on the Johnny Canales Show, a popular Spanish radio program, in order to promote her album.
- Eventually, Selena was discovered by Rick Trevino, founder of the Tejano Music Awards.
- In 1987, she won the Tejano Music Awards as the Female Vocalist of the Year, and won for nine consecutive years.
- Selena’s success was considered revolutionary, since Tejano music was a genre dominated by men, and her band was often turned down in Mexican venues for having a female vocalist.
- Selena was signed to EMI Latin Records in 1989.
- “Selena,” her first self-titled album, was released on October 17, 1989.
- Selena’s brother became his principal record producer.
- Her first self-titled album peaked at number seven on the U.S. Billboard Regional Mexican Albums chart.
- Coca-Cola also signed Selena as their spokesperson in Texas, and produced advertisements featuring her.
- Chriz Peréz, the band’s new guitarist, developed romantic feelings for Selena, despite having a girlfriend.
- However, Selena and Perez still became a couple, but chose to hide their relationship from Abraham.
- Ven Conmigo, Selena’s second album, was released in September 1990, which featured one of her most successful singles “Baila Esta Cumbia.”
- In 1992, Abraham found out about Selena and Perez and decided to stop their relationship.
- Abraham despised and fired Perez. However, the couple decided to elope on April 2, 1992.
- Selena released her third album after a month of elopement. “Entre a Mi Mundo” was her most critically acclaimed album. It lasted number eight on the charts for several months.
- Yolanda Saldivar, a registered nurse, was appointed to be the head of Selena’s fan club.
- Yolanda had a sinister plan in her mind: she used the fan club to accept payments and forge checks from other fans.
- On March 31, 1995, Selena and Saldivar met at a hotel room in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Selena demanded financial records from Saldivar, but Saldivar shot Selena with a gun.
- Saldivar was cornered by police and was sentenced to life.
- Selena was buried on April 3, 1995 at Seaside Memorial Park in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Selena Quintanilla Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about the Selena Quintanilla across 25 in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Selena Quintanilla worksheets that are perfect for teaching students about Selena Quintanilla who was one of the most celebrated Mexican-American entertainers of the late 20th century, and was hailed as the Queen of Tejano music. She was a notable proponent of Latin American music. She was a singer, songwriter, spokesperson, model, actress, and fashion designer.
Complete List Of Included Worksheets
- Selena Quintanilla Facts
- La Reina del Tex-Mex
- Fact or Flawed?
- All About Tejano Music
- Primary Influences
- Lyrics Match
- Discography Check
- Heartbreaking News
- Latina Artists
- Selena Art
- Listen and React
Link/cite this page
If you reference any of the content on this page on your own website, please use the code below to cite this page as the original source.
Link will appear as - KidsKonnect, May 7, 2020
Use With Any Curriculum
These worksheets have been specifically designed for use with any international curriculum. You can use these worksheets as-is, or edit them using Google Slides to make them more specific to your own student ability levels and curriculum standards.
- See AlsoGood libations: 10 of the best mood-boosting drinks to elevate your summer – Luxury London30+ Best Eulogy ExamplesMost Touching Love Messages for Him / Her 2022 - Pure Love MessagesThe Best Female Singer/Songwriters of All Time(Video) Book Recommendations: Celebrating influential Latinos/as who’ve made their mark in history!!!
Selena Quintanilla was one of the most celebrated Mexican-American entertainers of the late 20th century, and was hailed as the Queen of Tejano music. She was a notable proponent of Latin American music. She was a singer, songwriter, spokesperson, model, actress, and fashion designer.What did Selena do at the age of 12? ›
She released her first LP record at the age of 12 with her Selena y Los Dinos band. At the 1987 Tejano Music Awards, she won the Female Vocalist of the Year award.Did Selena have 2 kids? ›
All those rumors were false, and Selena did not have any children.What was Selena's favorite color? ›
Selena Quintanilla's favorite colors were purple and black.What was Selena Quintanilla favorite animal? ›
5. Among Selena's favorites: white roses, the colors purple and black, Chanel lipstick in the shade “Brick.” Selena also loved Whataburger, Jack in the Box, Pizza Hut and Olive Garden (she was a fan of fast food). 6. An animal lover, Selena had five dogs and a python.How many kids did Selena want? ›
One thing Selena really wanted was to have five kids... sadly she never had them | Selena quintanilla, Selena, Selena q.Is Selena the movie Kid friendly? ›
Other than Selena's attempts to mimic Madonna's trend in on-stage fashion (much to her father's dismay), this film is suitable for all ages.What is Selena famous for? ›
Sometimes called the "Queen of Tejano," Selena's music expanded the audience for Texan-Mexican music, and contributed to a rise in Latin music popularity across the United States. Selena's album Selena Live! won a Grammy Award in 1994, making her the first Tejano artist to win a Grammy.What age did Selena get shot? ›
It's been 27 years since Mexican-American icon Selena Quintanilla Pérez was shot and killed. The Tejano singer would've turned 51 next month. Selena was just 23-years-old when she was shot by Yolanda Saldíva, a deranged fan and former manager of the singer's boutique line.What was Selena's first hit? ›
Selena's First U.S. Hit 'Como La Flor' Compares a Withering Flower With Losing Love: See English… Credited to Selena y Los Dinos, the 1992 hit became Selena Quintanilla's signature song.
Selena Quintanilla Pérez (Spanish pronunciation: [seˈlena kintaˈniʝa ˈpeɾes]; April 16, 1971 – March 31, 1995), known mononymously as Selena, was an American Tejano singer.Did Selena Quintanilla have dogs? ›
After they were married, Selena and Pérez started an animal menagerie in their backyard, adopting five dogs, including a Husky and a Bull Mastiff.Did Selena have pets? ›
6/6 Her First Dog Is Called Winnie, And The Second Is Called Daisy. Selena adopted her first pooch a while ago. Little Winnie joined the Gomez family and proved a wonderful addition, providing invaluable emotional support for the singer as she dealt with the fallout of her difficult breakup with ex Justin Bieber.Did Selena's brother have a baby? ›
His son, Svani, has a daughter. On Instagram, A.B. posted a photo of two of his children on the set of Selena, the 1997 movie starring Jennifer Lopez as the singer.What was Selena's favorite fast food? ›
She loved to brag that she could polish off a whole medium pizza by herself. Selena loved tacos from Jack In The Box when she was touring. In the early days, Jack In The Box was her family's favorite fast food restaurant. Selena recorded her first album with Freddie Records in the early 80's.What was Selena's fear? ›
She also got candid about what she feared in her darkest moments saying, “I think I was scared of myself – the way I was treating myself, the way I was talking about my body, it breaks my heart to think that's who I was.What was Selena's favorite fruit? ›
Mangos. Mango is Selena's favorite fruit. They're sweet and reminiscent of the islands, so we understand why she likes them so much.What was Selena favorite song? ›
~MORE THAN WORDS This was Selena's Favorite Song | Selena quintanilla perez, Selena quintanilla, Selena.What perfume did Selena wear? ›
Like most people, Selena Quintanilla had a signature scent that she became known for, according to E! News (opens in new tab). Her top fragrance choice was Boucheron Eau de Parfum, a sensual floral scent with sparkling fruit notes.What is Selena favorite movie? ›
For Selena, social distancing has given her plenty of time to revisit some of her favorite films. She included Jennifer's Body, American Hustle, Clueless, Sugar and Spice, After The Wedding, Zodiac, Election and Flirting With Disaster on her movies list.
Selena and Chris never had kids despite having made plans to start a family shortly before the star was killed by was shot and killed by Yolanda Saldívar, the president of her fan club who grew close with the Quintanilla family. She was just 23 at the time.Did Selena have a wedding with her sister? ›
Yolanda Saldívar Was A Bridesmaid In Selena's Sister Suzette's Wedding In Real Life. The wedding of Selena's sister, Suzette Quintanilla, is shown in Selena: The Series.How old was Selena when she got married? ›
Despite her father, Abraham Quintanilla Jr.'s, disapproval of Chris, the two secretly wed on April 2, 1992. At the time, Selena was 20 years old and Chris was 22. "Selena and I decided that the only way to be together . . . was to run away and get married," Chris wrote on Facebook back in 2017.Can a 12 year old watch Selena the series? ›
Perfect for all ages! I reccomend this to anyone who loves music, and dancing!Is fame OK for kids? ›
Parents need to know that, in terms of content, this R-rated 1980 film is much heavier than both the teen-friendly TV drama it spawned and the PG-rated 2009 remake -- consequently, it's only age-appropriate for mature teens.What Disney movie is Selena in? ›
Princess Protection Program is a 2009 Disney Channel Original Movie, directed by Allison Liddi-Brown and starring Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez.How is Selena a hero? ›
Selena Quintanilla Perez was a hero and inspiration to many because she showed courage to face the music world as a latina woman, loyalty to both her Mexican and American roots, and confidence in her many skills as an artist.What does the name Selena mean? ›
Popularity:467. Origin:Greek. Meaning:The moon. Selena is a feminine name of Greek origin, meaning “the moon.” This sweet, celestial name is derived from the word sélas meaning “bright,” and is related to Selene—a name shared by the goddess of the moon in Greek Mythology.How long did Selena Live before she died? ›
Twenty-five years after she was murdered at just 23 years old, the life and death of Tejano superstar Selena Quintanilla-Pérez continues to loom large in the cultural imagination.What was Selena's favorite food? ›
Selena's favorite food was pizza. She loved to brag that she could polish off a whole medium pizza by herself. Selena loved tacos from Jack In The Box when she was touring. In the early days, Jack In The Box was her family's favorite fast food restaurant.
While most know Selena's favorite food was pizza and that she had a passion for fashion, here are five other things you probably didn't know about the late Queen of Tejano music.How many records did Selena sell before she died? ›
Selena sold around 18 million records worldwide, becoming one of the bestselling female artists in Latin music, according to Billboard. She was killed about two weeks before her 24th birthday, which would have been April 16, 1995.Did Selena Quintanilla go to school? ›
Roberts Elementary School in Lake Jackson and West Oso Junior High in Corpus Christi, where she completed the eighth grade. In 1989 she finished high school through the American School, a correspondence school for artists, and enrolled at Pacific Western University in business administration correspondence courses.How did Selena get her name? ›
Quintanilla's hospital roommate was expecting a girl which she had picked the name Selena, instead she had a boy. The Quintanilla's decided to name their youngest child Selena. The year Selena passed away, her name was number 91 on the list of most popular baby names. It's now in the 285th spot.Who inspired Selena Quintanilla? ›
While Quintanilla's own influences included Madonna, Paula Abdul, Gloria Estefan and Donna Summer, artists such as Beyonce, the late Whitney Houston, Katy Perry and, of course, Jennifer Lopez, are among the many who have cited admiration for the singer simply know as Selena.› profiles › selena-6747 ›
Selena Biography - Facts, Childhood, Family Life & Achievements
Selena - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 1989, she signed with Capitol Latin EMI and gained international fame. In 1993, “Selena Live!” won the Grammy for best Mexican-American album. In 1994, she released her double-platinum album “Amor Prohibido” and opened her boutique clothing store and salon, Selena Etc.What important things did Selena Quintanilla do? ›
Selena Quintanilla made her recording debut in the '80s, going on to become an award-winning recording artist in the Latin music scene with albums like Amor Prohibido and Selena Live. In 1995, she was murdered by the founder of her fan club. Her last album, Dreaming of You, was released posthumously in 1995.How old was Selena when she died? › Was Selena still married when murdered? ›
In 1992, Chris Pérez and Selena eloped against her family's wishes and stayed married for three years before she was tragically murdered.
Selena Quintanilla Perez was a hero and inspiration to many because she showed courage to face the music world as a latina woman, loyalty to both her Mexican and American roots, and confidence in her many skills as an artist.What was Selena's nickname? › Why was Selena so inspiring? ›
She and her brother A.B. Quintanilla, who produced her biggest hits, single-handedly revolutionized the Tejano industry, incorporating their Mexican-American background in music. As a woman in a male-dominated industry, Selena overcame many obstacles while keeping it classy and real.What did Selena Quintanilla eat? ›
Selena's favorite food was pizza. She loved to brag that she could polish off a whole medium pizza by herself. Selena loved tacos from Jack In The Box when she was touring. In the early days, Jack In The Box was her family's favorite fast food restaurant.What song made Selena famous? ›
The undisputed Selena classic is “Como la Flor.” With its lovelorn lyrics and a goosebump-inducing vocal and dynamic performance over a pop cumbia beat, this track skyrocketed Selena into superstardom and has become her most famous and representative song.What kind of car did Selena have? ›
This red 1986 Porsche Targa was Selena's favorite car. In fact, Selena purchased a newly released, black Porsche hatchback at first, but after some time, felt it wasn't right for her. She then traded the hatchback in for this Porsche Targa shortly after, even though it was an older model!
It's been more than 20 years after Selena's death. So how old would Selena Quintanilla be now in 2020? Selena was born on April 16, 1971, in Lake Jackson, Texas. She was killed 16 days before her 24 birthday, which means that Selena would be 49 years old in 2020.What was Selena's last song before she died? ›
Selena recorded "God's Child (Baila Conmigo)", a duet with David Byrne that was included on the soundtrack of the comedy film Blue in the Face (1995). Byrne said the song was the last recording Selena made before she was shot and killed by Yolanda Saldívar, her friend and former manager of her Selena Etc.How long did Selena Live before she died? ›
Twenty-five years after she was murdered at just 23 years old, the life and death of Tejano superstar Selena Quintanilla-Pérez continues to loom large in the cultural imagination.What did Selena's mom do? ›
Did Chris Perez ever remarry and have children? Though it took years, Chris was able to find love in his life again in the arms of Vanessa Villanueva. They met through a mutual friend, John Garza, and dated for a while. Perez married Vanessa in 2001, six years after the death of Selena.Who was Selena married to before she died? ›
Christopher Gilbert Pérez (born August 14, 1969) is an American guitarist, best known as lead guitarist for the Tejano band Selena y Los Dinos. He married the frontwoman of the group, Selena, on April 2, 1992. Pérez grew up in San Antonio, Texas as one of two children of Gilbert Pérez and Carmen Medina.